When I chat to brides about their wedding and I ask if they are looking for a wedding coordinator and I sometimes get the reply “no my venue has a coordinator.” At this point I cringe internally.
Photo by Phat Dog Visuals
Don’t get me wrong, there are some amazing venue coordinators out there, but that is not the norm. Venue coordinators look at everything from the venues point of view. They will not be chasing if the cake does not show up, they will not be sewing the grooms button on because it fell off before the ceremony. They will not be checking that the dress/hair/makeup looks ok whilst you’re having your photo’s taken.
Wedding coordinators are independent from everyone and are solely working for YOU and in YOUR best interests. They will create a timeline of events for your day and communicate it to all of your vendors, they will cue music, speeches, first dance etc. When something doesn’t go to plan which happens at most weddings, wedding coordinators are skilled to find solutions or work around the issue to ensure that the day is kept on time. The couple often has no idea until after the day that anything has happened. And that is the job of the wedding coordinator, to ensure this day runs smoothly and you get to enjoy a stress free day!
Photo by Sawyer Photography
If you are starting to plan your wedding, do not assume that every service that your venue suggests is the best thing for you. Just because they are on the venues preferred vendor list, does not mean that they are the right fit for you. Ask questions to your venue coordinator regarding the timeline, cueing music, working with other vendors, managing the vendors, how often can you contact them, will they attend/supervise the rehearsal? All these things are included in a wedding coordinator’s package. So do your research and ask the questions.
You are spending thousands and thousands of dollars on your special day, therefore it is so important to find vendors who you are comfortable with and who you feel you can trust to do a great job and take the stress away.
This is what is included in our standard wedding day coordination package:
- One Wedding Planners certified by the Wedding Planners Institute of Canada
- At least one assistant coordinator
- An initial meeting at no cost to you, at a mutually convenient location
- One planning meeting prior to the rehearsal, normally at the venue of the reception 4 weeks before the wedding (usually 2 hrs duration)
- Design an itinerary which once the couple has signed off it is distributed to all vendors involved in the day
- Reviewing all vendor contracts
- Unlimited communication from when you contract our services until your wedding day
- Contacting all vendors to co-ordinate arrivals/set up/take down etc
- Supervision and Direction of Wedding Rehearsal
- Supervision and Execution of Ceremony and reception set up
- On site direction of the Wedding Ceremony and Reception
- Supervision of Photo session
- We will arrive when needed and leave after the last major event (usually after the night table has been laid out)
- Access for you and your guests to our emergency bag, because we are prepared for most situations